Powered By Blogger

Thursday, September 11, 2014

The Year Is Fading Fast: September already!


SEPTEMBER
          John Updike

"The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well- honeyed hum,
And mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze."

---------------------------


I always promise to remember the good weather, when we get into winter and have to deal with snow and colder temperatures.  When it was too hot this summer, I promised I would not complain about the cooler temperatures; we all know what happens with these promises.  So today again, I will say...I appreciate the nice weather we are having at the moment.....




      

2 comments:

  1. I know. Just where has the year gone?
    Mind you, winter is my favourite season. I turn into a troll in summer and only come out at night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I lived in Australia, my favorite season would be winter as well. I was there in the spring and it was cooler, which was nice for me. The hot summer temperatures, that you get around Christmas, would definitely not be for me.

    ReplyDelete